1. Before buying from a new online retailer, perform some research on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the way it handles items like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look into the BBB to determine if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions regarding its business before you buy anything.
2. Should you be shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is not any website that requires this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and find one which has a better reputation.
3. If a website is not secure, do not buy something. Simply check out at the web address when you are shopping. If you notice an "https" as opposed to an "http," you can feel confident enough to insert your credit card information. However, if there is no "s" inside the address, proceed to a different site to be on the safe side.
4. When searching out the best price to get a big ticket item, make sure to check the store reviews to determine if other customers had a good knowledge about them. It is also a good idea to talk with the Better Business Bureau too. You want to make sure that the business is legitimate and values you as a client.
5. Sign up for your favorite online stores' newsletters. Many times online stores will send out daily, weekly or monthly newsletters with special sales, discounts and deals. If you like to save money, you might be able to score some good deals on items you were going to purchase anyway.