1. Never give out your Social Security number with an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you continue an online store site and discover that as being a requirement, usually do not buy anything from them and shop somewhere else.
2. Always save copies of your orders and receipts from online purchases. Many stores will redirect you to a page after you've submitted your order detailing everything that was bought, customer information, the prices, etc. You should either print a copy of this or save a copy to your computer in case any issues arise before the end of the return period. Be sure to save any emails regarding your items' status or correspondence with the company regarding your orders, too.
3. When you are online shopping, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a good reputation, you may be requesting trouble. Many people have had their credit card and private information stolen from shopping on under reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
4. When looking for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as many reviews as possible. Reading many reviews can help you get a more general notion of whether or not the item you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
5. When shopping online, most places only accept debit or credit cards. Keep this in mind when you are selecting a site to purchase from. If you don't feel comfortable providing the company with your bank card information, look for another site. Try to find a web site that offers a safe and secure page when you're adding your charge card information.