1. When looking for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as you can. Reading many reviews will help you get a more general concept of whether or not the product you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
2. If you're purchasing clothes or shoes online, be careful with the sizing. Some items typically run smaller or larger than normal. Some shopping sites will advertise if an item runs true to size. If the site doesn't list anything about sizing, glance at the reviews. In most cases, if an item is running larger or smaller, the reviewers will let you know.
3. Before you start your internet shopping, be sure that you've got up-to-date antivirus software. Internet shopping is a hotbed for suspect websites. Some people build stores with the goal to infect your computer with malware. It's best which you take precautions prior to visiting any stores, no matter how reputable you feel they are.
4. To guard yourself use a credit card when you shop online. The government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the consumer is responsible for is a mere $50.00 as compared to atm cards where the entire balance could be withdrawn by internet hackers.
5. When shopping online, choose the best shipping policy. Many times companies offer expedited shipping. However, many times getting the product one day earlier can cost you as much as twice the normal shipping price. Therefore, if you can wait on the product to arrive using normal shipping instead of expedited shipping, choose standard shipping to save money.