1. When you are shopping on the web, make sure that you are just shopping on secure websites. Look in the web site URL plus it should display "https" as opposed to the usual "http" at the beginning. Always have an updated copy of anti-virus running on your computer as well. This will ensure that you have a safe online shopping experience.
2. When shopping online, always try to keep in mind the buying price of shipping. Many sites offer free shipping on purchases over a specific amount. In the event that you have to pay shipping, make sure that it is going to match your budget after you've added everything in your cart. Using a full cart only to find out you cannot afford the shipping is never a fun experience.
3. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking with a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It can make a product look bigger or smaller than it is. Make sure to read the description so you know exactly what you are purchasing.
4. Be careful in regard to the online stores that you consider buying from. If the web store is poorly designed, full of misspellings, and overall fishy, you should take your money elsewhere. These are signs that something might not be right about this store. It's better to be safe than sorry.
5. Never give out your Social Security number with an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you go on an online store site and discover that being a requirement, tend not to buy everything from them and shop elsewhere.