1. If you find a great product on your own favorite site, search for it in a search engine before you buy it. Make note of the model number or brand, and do a quick search to successfully can't get it cheaper from somewhere else. You might be able to save a few dollars this way.
2. Find out more about the payment methods offered by the online store you are interested in. Most stores provide you with the option to pay with credit cards or with PayPal. Credit cards is a safe option only when the store includes a secure server. If you do not see any information about safety, it is advisable to go through another store.
3. To help protect your credit, use only one credit card for online purchases. This will help you quickly track your spending habits when the charge card statement is available in the mail. If you notice any charges which you did not make, call the credit card company immediately and report it to them.
4. When you're shopping online you have to be sure you know who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by trying to find reviews to them online.
5. Be wary for any emails you receive, even if they appear to be from a retailer you trust. Never click on a hyperlink that directs you to a web site other than the one you shopped on. Should you do, you may become vulnerable to a scam. Rather than simply clicking on an email hyperlink, just go up to your browser and enter in the web site you would like to go to. It is much safer that way.