1. When you are shopping on the web, make sure that you are just shopping on secure websites. Look in the website URL and it should display "https" as opposed to the usual "http" at the beginning. Also have an up to date copy of anti-virus running on your computer also. This will make certain you have a safe online shopping experience.
2. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from a company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails seeking personal information or account information.
3. When shopping for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as many reviews as possible. Reading many reviews will allow you to get a more general concept of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
4. Sign-up for any id theft protection your credit card company offers, particularly if you shop online often. No matter how safe you are or how diligently you believe you can protect your information, it's never one hundred percent guaranteed. Take full advantage of automatic ID protection and know you will have back-up, should the worst occur.
5. A reputable online seller should have a history that is recorded with the Better Business Bureau. Check with the BBB prior to deciding to part with your hard earned money to see if there have been any major or continual complaints lodged against them. You don't want to be spending your cash with a company that fails to deliver.