1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their home page. Doing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. Before you start your internet shopping, ensure that you've got up-to-date antivirus software. Internet shopping is a hotbed for suspect websites. Many people build stores with the goal to infect your computer with malware. It's best that you take precautions prior to visiting any stores, no matter how reputable you feel they are.
3. When shopping for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as numerous reviews as is possible. Reading many reviews can help you get a more general notion of whether or not the product you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
4. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer support if you have a question. By contacting customer service before making your order, you'll discover how helpful customer service is and how quickly they respond. This can be useful information to have in the event that something fails after you've made your purchase.
5. When you are searching for a place to buy a product and no results are most often from familiar retailers, you need to be hesitant about entering your data. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, so you know the retailer is not in the market to take your money.