1. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so look for sites and testimonials which can be terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You should take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there is a problem.
2. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from a company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
3. When you shop online, make sure the site you happen to be on starts with "https". The "S" means that the site is secure, which entails that you could safely enter your personal information without having to be worried about identity theft. In case a site does not have the "S" in it, you might want to avoid using it.
4. When shopping for a certain item, check several different online retailers. Many times with a bit of searching, it can save you as much as 25 %. Look at many different websites to ensure that you are getting the best bargain. When figuring each website's price, ensure you include shipping costs into your calculations.
5. Before buying from a new online retailer, do your homework on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the actual way it handles items like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look into the BBB to find out if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions about its business before you buy anything.