1. To guard yourself use a credit card when you shop online. The federal government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the consumer is responsible for is a mere $50.00 as compared to atm cards where the entire balance can be withdrawn by internet hackers.
2. When you are shopping on the web, make sure that you are merely shopping on secure websites. Look in the web site URL plus it should display "https" as opposed to the usual "http" at the beginning. Always have an updated copy of anti-virus running on your computer too. This will make certain you have a safe online shopping experience.
3. When shopping online, choose the best shipping policy. Often times companies offer expedited shipping. However, many times getting the product one day earlier can cost you as much as twice the normal shipping price. Therefore, if you can wait on the product to arrive using normal shipping instead of expedited shipping, choose standard shipping to save money.
4. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails asking for personal information or account information.
5. Make it a habit to register for price alerts. This goes even for purchases that you've recently made. Price alerts will tell you when a product has dropped to a price you like. And when you've recently purchased at full price, you can request a price adjustment to meet the new deal.