1. Make sure that you're entering your payment details on a good site. Look for "https://" within the URL in the site that you're attempting to buy something from. If you don't see that or no sign of any website security, then it's probably a wise idea not to trust those people together with your account information.
2. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so search for sites and testimonials which are terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You should take bad reviews having a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know you will find a problem.
3. When you are online shopping, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a good reputation, you may be requesting trouble. Many people have had their credit card and private information stolen from shopping on lower than reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
4. When you're shopping online you should be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only purchase from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by trying to find reviews to them online.
5. Always look for online coupons when shopping on the web. Many online retailers give out discounts for various things and you can locate them by carrying out a simple search. Just type in the name in the store and coupon and you might find a great discount. This is a great way to cut costs when you shop online.