1. Sign up for your chosen online stores' newsletters. Often times online stores will be sending out daily, weekly or monthly newsletters with special sales, discounts and deals. If you like to spend less, you could possibly score some terrific deals on items you were going to purchase anyway.
2. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are delighted to complain about bad service online, so look for sites and testimonials which are terrible so you know what you're getting into. You ought to take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there exists a problem.
3. If a website is not secure, do not buy something. Simply search for at the web address when you are shopping. If you notice an "https" instead of an "http," you can feel confident enough to insert your credit card information. However, if there is no "s" within the address, move on to a different site to be on the safe side.
4. When you're shopping online you have to be sure you know who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only purchase from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see when they are a reputable company by trying to find reviews upon them online.
5. When looking for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as is possible. Reading many reviews will help you get a more general notion of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.