1. While shopping online, make sure that the online store offers secure checkout. This helps protect your own personal information from being stolen. To ensure the site is encrypted check out into your web browser's URL box. The site is secured if the website starts with https. This is short for hyper transfer protocol secure.
2. If you are making a purchase online, ensure that you use a credit card to pay for the transaction. Credit card users are protected against fraud by federal law and they are only responsible for $50 in these cases. Some card agencies will even go so far as to wave the $50 for you, meaning that you will not be out of pocket.
3. To guard yourself use a credit card while shopping online. The government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the buyer is responsible for is really a mere $50.00 as compared to debit cards where the entire balance could be withdrawn by internet hackers.
4. If you shop frequently at a certain website or online store, it could be worth it to sign up for their email updates which usually have special offers and sales. This can lead to savings for you as you may get yourself a discount around the item or perhaps free shipping, which may add up to bigger savings if you purchase from the site often.
5. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on the home page. Performing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.