1. Before shopping from a store that is new to you, find out what the store's reputation is much like. You can usually do an internet search and learn what others think of the business. It is best to do this so you do not find out the tough way and lose your cash.
2. If you are going to be shopping online, make sure that you do it from a computer connection you understand is secure, like the one that you have at home. Hackers try to find WI-Fi connections in public places if they are scouting for victims, so avoid shopping when using them.
3. Sign-up for any id theft protection your credit card company offers, especially if you shop online often. No matter how safe you are or how diligently you believe you are able to protect your details, it's never one hundred percent guaranteed. Take full advantage of automatic ID protection and know you will have back-up, should the worst occur.
4. Should you be looking for the best coupons, consider signing up for the newsletters of the stores that you love the most. Often stores give their best coupons and discounts to those that have signed up the very first time. And they'll continue to provide great deals to those that have shown big desire for the brand, and so the signup can lead to some phenomenal savings.
5. In case you have questions while shopping, choose a live chat function in the online store. Many big brands (and even some boutique stores) now have this functionality. You can chat immediately with a customer care representative to correct any issues or answer any questions before you purchase. That can give you a lot of peace of mind.