1. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
2. Before investing in a product online, find out more about shipping. If you do not find any details about shipping costs, contact the vendor to find out if there are additional charges for shipping. If there are several shipping options, choose an affordable and reliable option to make sure you receive your product quickly.
3. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking in a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It can make a product look bigger or smaller than it is. Make sure to look at the description which means you know exactly what you are purchasing.
4. If you think that you will be making a lot of online purchases down the road, consider obtaining a separate charge card to use only for these transactions. It is much easier to track all transactions should they be the only items listed about this card's transaction records. Additionally, you don't need to worry concerning your own funds being compromised, even temporarily, if you are a victim of fraud.
5. When getting things shipped to your home that you simply bought online, know your consumer rights regarding time tables and condition of merchandise. You have a directly to receive items according to the terms stated whenever you ordered them and reasonable expectations of goods being undamaged. Consult with the BBB for exact specifics and get what's coming to you fairly!