1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their home page. Carrying out a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. When getting things shipped to your home that you bought online, know your consumer rights regarding time tables and condition of products. You have a right to receive items according to the terms stated when you ordered them and reasonable expectations of goods being undamaged. Consult with the BBB for exact specifics and get what's visiting you fairly!
3. When you are shopping online, make sure that you are just shopping on secure websites. Look in the site URL and it also should display "https" rather than the usual "http" at the beginning. Usually have an up to date copy of anti-virus running on your computer too. This will make sure that you have a safe online shopping experience.
4. Be suspicious of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you find yourself shopping online. You start to rationalize that you can spend more money for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten if you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a limit and stay with it.
5. If you want to buy books online, you'll get a better deal if you get them used. Depending on the condition you get them in, you may just end up paying a few cents plus shipping. Make sure you read through the description of the book to see if there are any damages you should be aware of.