1. Before buying coming from a new online retailer, do your homework on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the actual way it handles things like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look at the BBB to see if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions about its business before you buy anything.
2. If you want to buy books online, you'll get yourself a better deal if you get them used. Based on the condition you obtain them in, you may just end up paying a few cents plus shipping. Make sure you read through the description of the book to see if you will find any damages you should be aware of.
3. Find out the online store's return policy. If you are considering making a purchase on an item that you may want to return, make sure to find out if returning the item is definitely an option. Sometimes when you shop online, items can not be returned and you may not want to be stuck with an unwanted item.
4. Make it a habit to register for price alerts. This goes even for purchases that you've recently made. Price alerts will let you know each time a product has dropped to a price you like. And if you've recently purchased at full price, you can ask for a price adjustment to satisfy the new deal.
5. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that really needs this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and find one which has a better reputation.