1. If you are going to become doing some shopping online, make sure you be aware of the liability for each and every credit card you use online. Many credit cards have automatic fraud prevention built in while others offer it for any minimal fee. You do not want to get stuck with purchases made on the card in the event the number is stolen.
2. When you're shopping online you should be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only purchase from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by searching for reviews on them online.
3. When you are searching for a place to buy a specific thing and not one of the results appear to be from familiar retailers, you should be hesitant about entering your details. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, which means you know the retailer is not in the market to take your money.
4. Many online shopping sites offer discounts if you use a "discount code". These codes are easily found online by entering the words "coupon code" along with the manufacturer or name of the website you will be buying from. They may offer a percentage off or free shipping just by entering inside a simple code which can be easily found by investing a few minutes looking for it.
5. Find out the online store's return policy. If you are considering creating a purchase on an item that you may want to return, be sure you find out if returning the item is an option. Sometimes when you shop online, items cannot be returned and you do not want to be tied to an unwanted item.