1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their home page. Doing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking with a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It can make a product look bigger or smaller than. Make sure to look at the description which means you know exactly what you are actually purchasing.
3. Look for the right times to shop online. Often the stores that you frequent will have online sales that follow a time pattern. Many, for instance, schedule sales for the beginning of the month or at the end. If you notice there's a pattern, hold off on buying anything until the upcoming sales period begins.
4. Talk to your friends about their favorite online shops. There are millions of sites out there, and there is no way you can find them all yourself. Talk to the people you know to find out who the reputable online retailers are, and where they like to look. This will save you a lot of time and energy.
5. Be wary for any emails you receive, even if they appear to be from a retailer you trust. Never click on a link that directs you to a website other than the one you shopped on. If you do, you may become vulnerable to a scam. Rather than simply clicking on an email hyperlink, just go up to your browser and type in the web site you would like to go to. It is much safer that way.