1. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is not any website that requires this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you may be on a scam website. Leave this site and find one that has a better reputation.
2. Learn more about the payment methods provided by the online store you are interested in. Most stores supply you with the option to pay with credit cards or with PayPal. A charge card is a safe option only when the store includes a secure server. If you do not see any information regarding safety, it is best to go through a different store.
3. Try to find coupons before purchasing a product online. Most online stores usually have some promotional offers happening. If you do not find any information regarding current offers on the site from the online store, look on other sites. Customers sometimes share their coupon codes on message boards or couponning blogs.
4. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on the home page. Performing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
5. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so try to find sites and testimonials that are terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there exists a problem.