1. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that needs this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and find one that includes a better reputation.
2. If you're purchasing clothes or shoes online, be careful with all the sizing. Some items typically run smaller or larger than normal. Some shopping sites will advertise if an item runs true to size. If the site doesn't list anything about sizing, glance at the reviews. In most cases, if the item is running larger or smaller, the reviewers will let you know.
3. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer support if you have a question. By contacting customer service before making your order, you'll learn how helpful customer service is and how quickly they respond. This is useful information to have when something fails after you've made your purchase.
4. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
5. When you shop online, use a credit card instead of a debit card. This is because charge cards are based on your credit, not the amount of money in your bank account. In case a internet hacker gets your banking information, they can completely ruin you within a matter of hours.