1. When shopping online, be sure that the online store offers secure checkout. This will assist protect your own personal information from being stolen. To ensure the site is encrypted search for into your web browser's URL box. The web page is secured if the website starts with https. This stands for hyper transfer protocol secure.
2. Be wary of any emails you get, even if they appear to be coming from a retailer you trust. Never click on a hyperlink that directs you to a site other than usually the one you shopped on. Should you, you may become vulnerable to a scam. Rather than simply clicking an email hyperlink, just go as much as your browser and enter the web site you need to go to. It is much safer that way.
3. Many online shopping sites offer discounts if you use a "promotion code". These codes can be found online by entering the words "coupon code" along with the manufacturer or name of the website you will be buying from. They may offer a percentage off or free shipping by simply entering within a simple code which can be easily found by investing a few minutes looking for it.
4. If you find a great product on your favorite site, search for it in an internet search engine before you buy it. Make note of the model number or brand, and do a quick search to make sure you can't get it cheaper from somewhere else. You might be able to save a few dollars this way.
5. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.