1. Be suspicious of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You begin to rationalize that you can spend more money for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten in the event you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a limit and stick to it.
2. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking in a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It can make a product look bigger or smaller than. Make sure to look at the description so that you know exactly what you are purchasing.
3. Sign-up for any identity theft protection your credit card company offers, specifically if you shop online often. No matter how safe you are or how diligently you believe you can protect your information, it's never one hundred percent guaranteed. Take full advantage of automatic ID protection and know you will have back-up, should the worst occur.
4. When shopping online, choose the best shipping policy. Many times companies offer expedited shipping. However, many times getting the product one day earlier can cost you as much as twice the normal shipping price. Therefore, if you can wait on the product to arrive using normal shipping instead of expedited shipping, choose standard shipping to save money.
5. When you are online shopping, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a good reputation, you may be seeking trouble. Some individuals have had their credit card and private information stolen from shopping on less than reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.