1. When you are searching for a place to buy an item and no results appear to be from familiar retailers, you need to be hesitant about entering your information. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, which means you know the retailer is not out to take your hard earned money.
2. When searching for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as is possible. Reading many reviews can help you get a more general notion of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
3. Be careful in regard to the online stores that you consider buying from. If the online store is poorly designed, packed with misspellings, and overall fishy, you should take your money elsewhere. These are signs that something might not be right about this store. It's safer to be safe than sorry.
4. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
5. Never give out your Social Security number for an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and personal data to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and discover that as being a requirement, do not buy everything from them and shop elsewhere.