1. Find out the online store's return policy. If you are considering creating a purchase on an item that you might want to return, make sure to find out if returning the item is an option. Sometimes when you shop online, items cannot be returned and you may not want to be stuck with an unwanted item.
2. When you are making any purchases online and you are required to create a user account, never use the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not use your e-mail or banking password to make your account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If someone was able to see this password, they could have access to more than just your profile on the retailer's store.
3. Do not forget to comparison shop when you are looking for things online. People usually accomplish this when shopping in physical stores, but they don't think about it on the net. If you go for the first sale you see, there exists a chance you may miss out on a much better deal somewhere else.
4. If you feel that you will be making a lot of online purchases later on, consider trying to get a separate charge card to use just for these transactions. It is easier to track all transactions if they are the only items listed with this card's transaction records. Additionally, you don't need to worry regarding your own funds being compromised, even temporarily, if you are a victim of fraud.
5. When shopping online, always try to keep in mind the buying price of shipping. Many sites offer free shipping on purchases over a certain amount. In the event that you have to pay shipping, make sure that it is going to fit into your budget after you've added everything for your cart. Using a full cart only to find out you cannot afford the shipping is never an enjoyable experience.