1. If you find a great product on your own favorite site, search for it in an internet search engine before you buy it. Make note of the model number or brand, and do a quick search to make sure you can't have it cheaper from somewhere else. You might be able to save a few dollars that way.
2. Although it may look tedious, make sure you read the contract and terms before you purchase in a website. These documents have valuable information on what you can and cannot do when you have an issue with the item that you bought. Read them thoroughly to ensure that you do not have an unwelcome surprise when trying to return items.
3. Discover the online store's return policy. Should you be considering making a purchase on an item that you may want to return, ensure you find out if returning the item is an option. Sometimes when you shop online, items cannot be returned and you do not want to be saddled with an unwanted item.
4. When you're shopping online you need to be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by looking for reviews upon them online.
5. Ensure that you're entering your payment details on a secure site. Search for "https://" within the URL of the site that you're seeking to buy something from. If you don't see that or no indication of any website security, then it's probably a good idea not to trust those people along with your account information.