1. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer service if you have a question. By contacting customer service before you make your order, you'll find out how helpful customer service is and just how quickly they respond. This really is useful information to have in case something fails after you've made your purchase.
2. Search for coupons before purchasing a product online. Most online stores usually have some promotional offers going on. If you do not find any information regarding current offers on the site from the online store, look on other sites. Customers sometimes share their coupon codes on discussion boards or couponning blogs.
3. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails seeking personal information or account information.
4. Be wary of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You begin to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten if you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a restriction and follow it.
5. Sign-up for any id theft protection your credit card company offers, particularly if you shop online often. No matter how safe you are or how diligently you believe you are able to protect your data, it's never one hundred percent guaranteed. Take full advantage of automatic ID protection and know you will have back-up, should the worst occur.