1. When you're shopping online you have to be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only purchase from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by trying to find reviews on them online.
2. Be cautious which sites you patronize. It is difficult to know which are around the up and up and that are not, but there are a few clues. If the address does not make sense or the design seems off, go to a different site. Furthermore, if a variety of pop-up windows begin appearing, close them out and move on.
3. Before shopping from a store that is a new comer to you, find out what the store's reputation is similar to. You can usually do an online search and find out what others think of the business. It is best to do this so you may not find out the difficult way and lose your cash.
4. Sign up for the website's newsletter if they have one. Many times stores will give you a reduction or some kind of deal when you sign up for their newsletter. Determine if there is a deal associated with registering for the newsletter at any store you would like to shop at.
5. When shopping for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as possible. Reading many reviews will help you get a more general idea of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.