1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their own home page. Performing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. When you are shopping on the web, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a strong reputation, you may be asking for trouble. Some individuals have had their credit card and personal information stolen from shopping on less than reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
3. Sign up for your favorite online stores' newsletters. Many times online stores will send out daily, weekly or monthly newsletters with special sales, discounts and deals. If you like to spend less, you could possibly score some great deals on items you were going to purchase anyway.
4. If you're concerned about whether a shopping website is legitimate or otherwise, do some research about this. The internet may be a great way to find out about other people's experiences with various sites. If the reviews of others seem promising, consider making a small first order. This can enable you to test out the client service, shipping, and gain a feel for the organization without risking a lot of money.
5. If you are going to become doing some shopping online, make sure you understand the liability for each credit card you use online. Many credit cards have automatic fraud prevention integrated while others offer it for any minimal fee. You do not need to get stuck with purchases made on your card if the number is stolen.