1. To protect yourself use a credit card when you shop online. The federal government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the customer is responsible for is a mere $50.00 as compared to debit cards where the entire balance can be withdrawn by internet hackers.
2. When you're shopping online you have to be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying with an online auction site, only buy from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by searching for reviews on them online.
3. When you shop online, it is crucial that you spend a little time looking into the site that you are considering buying from. You can get information about the site from other sites and the Better Business Bureau. Not researching them can lead to you getting the products you did not order or getting billed greater than you should have.
4. After you have found the items you want, check to see if there are any coupons offered. There are many websites that offer coupons. These coupons can be a certain percent off, a certain dollar amount off or free shipping. Many times several coupons are given. If this is the situation, choose the one which will save you the most money.
5. When you shop online, you need to be extra careful if you are using your cellphone to buy online. Employing a public Wi-Fi can leave your personal at risk of hackers. Attempt to only use your secured network when shopping online using a cellphone and never make use of a public Wi-Fi hot spot to shop.