1. Before buying from the new online retailer, do some research on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the actual way it handles things like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also check the BBB to determine if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions about its business before you buy anything.
2. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you continue an online store site and see that as being a requirement, usually do not buy anything from them and shop somewhere else.
3. Find out the online store's return policy. In case you are considering making a purchase on an item that you may want to return, be sure you find out if returning the item is an option. Sometimes when you shop online, items are unable to be returned and you do not want to be stuck with an unwanted item.
4. When you are online shopping, make sure that you are just shopping on secure websites. Look in the site URL and it should display "https" instead of the usual "http" at the beginning. Also have an updated copy of anti-virus running on your computer as well. This will make sure that you have a safe online shopping experience.
5. When you're shopping online you have to be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only purchase from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see when they are a reputable company by trying to find reviews on them online.