1. When you are shopping online, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a strong reputation, you may be asking for trouble. Some people have had their credit card and personal information stolen from shopping on under reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
2. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their home page. Doing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
3. Check out coupon sites. Whatever you desire to buy may have coupons or discount codes. Before you purchase something, make certain you have the ability to take a few seconds and do a quick search. You could even wish to bookmark some coupon sites to have ready when you buy.
4. If you feel you will be making a lot of online purchases down the road, consider trying to get a separate credit card to use just for these transactions. It is easier to track all transactions should they be the only items listed about this card's transaction records. Additionally, you don't need to worry regarding your own funds being compromised, even temporarily, if you are a victim of fraud.
5. Be wary for any emails you get, even if they appear to be from a retailer you trust. Never click on a hyperlink that directs you to a site other than the one you shopped on. Should you, you may become vulnerable to a gimmick. Rather than simply clicking an email hyperlink, just go up to your browser and enter in the web site you want to go to. It really is much safer that way.