1. Before buying coming from a new online retailer, perform some research on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the way it handles stuff like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look into the BBB to determine if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions regarding its business before you buy anything.
2. Do not spend too much money on shipping. Shipping charges can actually add up. Many sites offer free shipping, free delivery once you spend a certain amount, or possess a coupon code that lets you get free delivery. Instead of paying your cash on shipping, look for a store that ships for free.
3. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you continue an online store site and see that as a requirement, usually do not buy anything from them and shop someplace else.
4. If you are going to be doing some shopping on the web, make sure you understand the liability for every credit card you utilize online. Many credit cards have automatic fraud prevention built in while others offer it to get a minimal fee. You do not want to get stuck with purchases made on your own card when the number is stolen.
5. Do not forget to comparison shop when you are looking for things online. People usually do this when shopping in physical stores, but they don't think about it on the net. If you go for the first sale you see, there exists a chance you will miss out on an improved deal somewhere else.