1. Before buying from a new online retailer, do some research on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the actual way it handles stuff like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look into the BBB to determine if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions regarding its business before you buy anything.
2. When you're shopping online you have to be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only buy from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see when they are a reputable company by trying to find reviews to them online.
3. Turn it into a habit to sign up for price alerts. This goes even for purchases that you've recently made. Price alerts will let you know whenever a product has dropped to a price you want. And if you've recently purchased at full price, it is possible to ask for a price adjustment to satisfy the new deal.
4. When shopping for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as numerous reviews as is possible. Reading many reviews will allow you to get a more general notion of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
5. A reputable online seller should have a history that is recorded with the Better Business Bureau. Check with the BBB prior to deciding to part with your hard earned money to see if there have been any major or continual complaints lodged against them. You don't want to be spending your money with a company that fails to provide.