1. Be suspicious of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you find yourself shopping online. You begin to rationalize that you can spend more money for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten if you went to the mall, as an example. Give yourself a limit and follow it.
2. Before shopping from a store that is unfamiliar with you, discover what the store's reputation is like. You can usually do an internet search and learn what others think of the business. It is best to do this so you do not find out the difficult way and lose your hard earned money.
3. To help protect your credit, use only one credit card for online purchases. This will help you quickly track your spending habits when the credit card statement is available in the mail. If you notice any charges that you simply did not make, call the credit card company immediately and report it to them.
4. When you're shopping online you have to be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by trying to find reviews upon them online.
5. If you find an excellent product on your own favorite site, search for it in an internet search engine before you buy it. Make note of the model number or brand, and do a quick search to make sure you can't get it cheaper from somewhere else. You might be able to save a few dollars that way.