1. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and personal information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you go on an online store site and see that as being a requirement, usually do not buy everything from them and shop someplace else.
2. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from a company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails asking for personal information or account information.
3. To help protect your credit, use only one credit card for online purchases. This will help you quickly track your spending habits when the credit card statement comes in the mail. If you notice any charges that you did not make, call the credit card company immediately and report it to them.
4. Sign up for your preferred online stores' newsletters. Many times online stores sends out daily, weekly or monthly newsletters with special sales, discounts and deals. If you like to spend less, you could possibly score some terrific deals on items you were going to purchase anyway.
5. If you're concerned about whether a shopping site is legitimate or not, do some research about it. The internet could be a great way to learn about other people's experiences with assorted sites. If the reviews of others seem promising, consider making a small first order. This can permit you to test out the consumer service, shipping, and gain a feel for the business without risking a lot of money.