1. When you are making any purchases online and you are required to produce a user account, never use the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not make use of e-mail or banking password to make your account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If a person was able to check this out password, they could have access to more than simply your profile on the retailer's store.
2. When a company features a newsletter, register. Often, companies will give sneak peeks, deals and discount codes to people on their own mailing list. However, be careful. You don't want to sign up for every company's newsletter or you'll soon be buried under endless emails. Only join a company's newsletter if you really like their products and services and would use a coupon code.
3. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer support if you have a question. By contacting customer service prior to making your order, you'll find out how helpful customer service is and how quickly they respond. This really is useful information to have in case something goes wrong after you've made your purchase.
4. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
5. Before buying from the new online retailer, do your homework on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the actual way it handles stuff like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look into the BBB to see if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions on its business before you buy anything.