1. If you shop frequently at a certain website or online store, it may be worth it to enroll in their email updates which normally have special offers and sales. This can lead to savings for you as you may obtain a discount on the item as well as free shipping, which can add up to bigger savings if you pick from the site often.
2. When shopping for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as many reviews as possible. Reading many reviews will allow you to get a more general concept of whether or not the product you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
3. Be careful when it comes to the online stores that you consider buying from. If the online store is poorly designed, full of misspellings, and overall fishy, you should take your money elsewhere. These are signs that something might not be right about this store. It's better to be safe than sorry.
4. Make it a habit to register for price alerts. This goes for purchases that you've recently made. Price alerts will tell you when a product has dropped to a price you like. And if you've recently purchased at full price, you can request a price adjustment to meet the new deal.
5. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so search for sites and testimonials which can be terrible so that you know what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there exists a problem.