1. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is not any website that needs this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and locate one which has a better reputation.
2. Do more research on the online store you are looking at before ordering a product from their store. If a store does not provide quality service or products, you will most likely find some negative reviews published on other sites. It is best to stay with online stores with an excellent reputation.
3. If you are going to be shopping on the web, make sure that you do it from a computer connection you already know is secure, like the one which you have in your own home. Hackers look for WI-Fi connections in public places if they are scouting for victims, so avoid shopping when using them.
4. When looking for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as is possible. Reading many reviews can help you get a more general concept of whether or not the item you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
5. When you are making any purchases on the internet and you are required to make a user account, never utilize the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not make use of your e-mail or banking password to make a free account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If someone was able to see this password, they could have access to more than simply your profile on the retailer's store.