1. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you continue an online store site and see that as being a requirement, do not buy anything from them and shop somewhere else.
2. While shopping online, ensure that the online store offers secure checkout. This helps protect your personal information from being stolen. To ensure the site is encrypted search for into your web browser's URL box. The web page is secured if the website starts with https. This is short for hyper transfer protocol secure.
3. Many online shopping sites offer discounts if you use a "promotion code". These codes can be found online by entering the words "coupon code" along with the manufacturer or name of the website you will be buying from. They could offer a percentage off or free shipping just by entering in a simple code which can be easily found by investing a few minutes trying to find it.
4. When you are making any purchases online and you are required to make a user account, never make use of the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not make use of your e-mail or banking password to make an account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If someone was able to check this out password, they could have access to more than simply your profile on the retailer's store.
5. When you shop online, use a credit card rather than a debit card. This is because charge cards are based on your credit, not the amount of money within your bank account. If a internet hacker gets your banking information, they can completely ruin you within a matter of hours.