1. When shopping online, choose the best shipping policy. Often times companies offer expedited shipping. However, many times getting the product one day earlier can cost you as much as twice the normal shipping price. Therefore, if you can wait on the product to arrive using normal shipping instead of expedited shipping, choose standard shipping to save money.
2. When you're shopping online you should be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by trying to find reviews on them online.
3. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you are probably on a scam website. Leave this site and locate one that has a better reputation.
4. Be suspicious of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You start to rationalize that you can spend more money for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten in the event you went to the mall, for example. Give yourself a restriction and follow it.
5. When shopping online, most places only accept debit or credit cards. Take this into account when you are deciding on a site to look from. If you don't feel at ease providing the company with your credit card information, try to look for another site. Try to find a web site that offers a secure page when you're adding your credit card information.