1. Search for coupons before purchasing a product online. Most online stores also have some promotional offers happening. If you do not find any information about current offers on the site from the online store, look on other sites. Customers sometimes share their coupon codes on discussion boards or couponning blogs.
2. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails seeking personal information or account information.
3. Be suspicious of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You start out to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten should you went to the mall, for example. Give yourself a limit and follow it.
4. Sign up for the website's newsletter if they have one. Many times stores will give you a price reduction or some form of deal whenever you sign up for their newsletter. Determine whether there is a deal associated with subscribing to the newsletter at any store you would like to shop at.
5. When looking for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as numerous reviews as possible. Reading many reviews will help you get a more general notion of whether or not the item you are interested in meets high standards of quality.