1. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that requires this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and find one which has a better reputation.
2. When you are making any purchases on the internet and you are required to produce a user account, never use the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not make use of e-mail or banking password to make an account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If someone was able to see this password, they can have access to more than just your profile on the retailer's store.
3. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer support if you have an issue. By contacting customer service before you make your order, you'll discover how helpful customer service is and how quickly they respond. This is useful information to have in case something goes wrong after you've made your purchase.
4. While shopping online, be sure the site you are on begins with "https". The "S" means that the site is secure, which entails that you could safely enter your personal information without having to concern yourself with identity theft. When a site lacks the "S" in it, you may want to avoid using it.
5. When looking for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as numerous reviews as you can. Reading many reviews will allow you to get a more general concept of whether or not the item you are interested in meets high standards of quality.