1. If you are going to get doing some shopping online, make sure you understand the liability for every credit card you utilize online. Many credit cards have automatic fraud prevention integrated while others offer it for a minimal fee. You do not want to get stuck with purchases made on your own card when the number is stolen.
2. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you go on an online store site and find out that as a requirement, do not buy everything from them and shop someplace else.
3. When shopping for a specific item, check several different online stores. Many times with a little searching, you save as much as 25 %. Look at a variety of websites to ensure that you are getting the best offer. When figuring each website's price, make sure you include shipping costs in your calculations.
4. If you find a great product on your own favorite site, search for it in an internet search engine before you buy it. Make note of the model number or brand, and do a quick search to ensure that you can't obtain it cheaper from somewhere else. You might be able to save a few dollars this way.
5. Once you enjoy the comfort of frequent online shopping, it's essential to keep changing the passwords you use for every account. Every couple of weeks approximately, make up a new password for your bank and the shopping sites directly. Use abstract words, combined with numbers and other odd characters for the strongest passwords.