1. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that needs this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and locate one that includes a better reputation.
2. Although it might appear tedious, make sure you read the contract and terms before you purchase with a website. These documents have valuable info on what you can and cannot do when you have a problem with the item that you bought. Read them thoroughly so that you do not have an unwelcome surprise when trying to come back items.
3. Before shopping from a store that is new to you, discover what the store's reputation is similar to. You can usually do a web-based search and discover what others think of the business. It is best to do this so you may not find out the tough way and lose your hard earned money.
4. To help protect your credit, use only one credit card for online purchases. This will help you quickly track your spending habits when the bank card statement is available in the mail. If you notice any charges which you did not make, call the credit card company immediately and report it to them.
5. If you are going to get doing some online shopping, make sure you comprehend the liability for every credit card you utilize online. Many credit cards have automatic fraud prevention built in while others offer it for any minimal fee. You do not need to get stuck with purchases made on the card if the number is stolen.