1. If you're purchasing clothes or shoes online, be careful with the sizing. Some items typically run smaller or larger than normal. Some shopping sites will advertise if an item runs true to size. If the site doesn't list anything about sizing, glance at the reviews. In most cases, if an item is running larger or smaller, the reviewers will let you know.
2. When you are searching for a location to buy an item and none of the results appear to be from familiar retailers, you should be hesitant about entering your details. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, so that you know the retailer is not out to take your money.
3. If you like an online store, subscribe to their email distribution list. You will probably receive some coupons and information about deals in your mailbox. Check these emails regularly to keep up to date with discounted prices and promotional offers. Most online stores often offer free delivery or discounts on certain products.
4. Never give out your Social Security number for an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you go on an online store site and see that being a requirement, do not buy everything from them and shop someplace else.
5. When you are online shopping, make sure that you are only shopping on secure websites. Look in the web site URL plus it should display "https" instead of the usual "http" at the beginning. Always have an up-to-date copy of anti-virus running on your computer as well. This will make certain you have a safe online shopping experience.