1. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so look for sites and testimonials which can be terrible so you know what you're getting into. You ought to take bad reviews having a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know you will find a problem.
2. Do not spend too much money on shipping. Shipping charges can definitely add up. Many sites offer free shipping, free delivery once you spend a certain amount, or have a coupon code that allows you to get free delivery. Instead of paying your cash on shipping, look for a store that ships for free.
3. Once you enjoy the ease of frequent shopping online, it's extremely important to keep changing the passwords you use for every account. Every couple of weeks approximately, make up a whole new password for your bank and the shopping sites directly. Use abstract words, combined with numbers and other odd characters for that strongest passwords.
4. When you are searching for a spot to buy an item and not one of the results appear to be from familiar retailers, you ought to be hesitant about entering your information. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, so that you know the retailer is not out to take your hard earned money.
5. Shop around when shopping online. You may find that prices for certain items can vary greatly from store to store. To be sure you get the best deal, look at a few different stores to find out their prices, as well as shipping charge. This will allow you to get the best deal you are able to.