1. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than happy to complain about bad service online, so try to find sites and testimonials which can be terrible so that you know what you're getting into. You ought to take bad reviews using a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there exists a problem.
2. When you're shopping online you should be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying with an online auction site, only purchase from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by looking for reviews upon them online.
3. In the event you shop frequently at a certain website or online store, it may be worth it to enroll in their email updates which normally have special deals and sales. This can result in savings for you as you may get yourself a discount on the item or even free shipping, which could add up to bigger savings if you pick from the site often.
4. Although it may look tedious, be sure you read the contract and terms before you purchase with a website. These documents have valuable information about what you can and cannot do when you have an issue with the item that you bought. Read them thoroughly in order that you do not have an unwelcome surprise when trying to come back items.
5. A reputable online seller needs to have a history that is recorded with the Better Business Bureau. Check with the BBB before you part with your hard earned money to find out if there have been any major or continual complaints lodged against them. You don't want to be spending your money with a company that fails to provide.