1. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from a company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
2. Check out coupon sites. Anything you want to buy may have coupons or discount codes. Before buying something, make certain you have the ability to have a few seconds and do a quick search. You may even desire to bookmark some coupon sites to have ready when you buy.
3. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is not any website that needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and discover one which has a better reputation.
4. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their own home page. Doing a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
5. To guard yourself use a credit card when shopping online. The federal government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the consumer is responsible for is actually a mere $50.00 as compared to atm cards where the entire balance could be withdrawn by internet hackers.