1. If you're considering buying a product online, look into the reviews. The reviews using their company people that have used the product can give you a wise decision about the product. You could possibly find out the quality of the product, when it worked as described, and if you should make the purchase.
2. Be skeptical of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you are shopping online. You start to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten if you went to the mall, for example. Give yourself a limit and stick to it.
3. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that requires this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you may be on a scam website. Leave this site and find one which has a better reputation.
4. Always remember your finances and credit limits when you shop online. The virtual realm of online shopping has gotten a lot of people in serious debt. You need to take a look at online shopping in a similar manner you look at offline shopping. Never buy items online that you don't have the cash to pay for.
5. Before buying from the new online retailer, do your homework on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the way it handles stuff like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also check the BBB to determine if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions regarding its business before you buy anything.