1. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and personal data to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and discover that as being a requirement, do not buy anything from them and shop someplace else.
2. Many online shopping sites offer discounts if you use a "discount code". These codes can be found online by entering the words "coupon code" along with the manufacturer or name of the website you will be buying from. They may offer a percentage off or free shipping simply by entering in a simple code which can be easily found by investing a few minutes looking for it.
3. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer service if you have a matter. By contacting customer service before making your order, you'll discover how helpful customer service is and how quickly they respond. This really is useful information to have when something goes wrong after you've made your purchase.
4. When shopping online, choose the best shipping policy. Often times companies offer expedited shipping. However, many times getting the product one day earlier can cost you as much as twice the normal shipping price. Therefore, if you can wait on the product to arrive using normal shipping instead of expedited shipping, choose standard shipping to save money.
5. If a website is not secure, do not buy something. Simply look up at the website address when you are shopping. If you notice an "https" instead of an "http," you can feel confident enough to insert your charge card information. However, if there is no "s" in the address, move on to a different site to be on the safe side.